Wednesday 27 February 2013

Girl on the MoVe!


Last weekend I attended my first ever MoVe! meeting, before I go any further let me explain what MoVe! is. First of all, it is not an acronym; it simply means moving, from one place to another, a better place hopefully. This is the first ever young women movement in Malawi (at least for me), and it seeks to create safe space for young women in Malawi to speak out on issues concerning them and advocate for change.
For every young feminist like me this is like a dream come true and what is more amazing about this movement is the leadership itself and the values they have. But for a first meeting I was just happy to be surrounded by young women from all walks of life who were passionate about young women issues J I felt at home amongst 15 strangers and I felt connected to them just by listening to them speak about their (our) daily struggles as young women in Malawi.
Three things I love MOST about MoVe!
*    It is not a project oriented movement; we will not exist because of donor funds but rather to speak out about all injustices done to young women in our country and offer healing where it is needed.
*    The leadership: Mphatso Jumbe, the executive director is so passionate about young women and hearing her talk takes you through a whole journey of hope and love.
*    Intergenerational dialogue is used as one of the strategies for the movement where young women will interact with older women and learn from each other.
For now am fired up and excited to be a member of MoVe! I feel like am part of history in the making. But my worry is how do I keep the fire burning??? Most movements have come and died I know, because of lack of commitment and fire! But I trust my fellow sisters to keep me fired up and grounded. We will MoVe! together J

No comments:

Post a Comment